Awareness of Dental Floss among Dental Students of First Year
Objective: To assess awareness of dental floss use among first year students of dental college.
Study design and duration: This is a cross sectional study completed in duration of 4 months from January 2019 to May 2019.
Setting: Study was conducted at CMH Lahore medical college and institute of dentistry.
Patients and methods: There were total 130 students included in this study. Their age range was 18-26 years. A questioner was designed containing questions in English language like what is dental floss, what is its use and how it is beneficial etc. Each student was given one questioner to fill. Each question was having 2 or 3 options like “yes”, “No” or “don’t know”. Data collected was analyzed using Microsoft office and SPSS softwares and frequencies, percentages and P-value were calculated. Results were presented in tabular form. Proper permission was taken from ethical committee of the study institution before conducting study.
Results: There were total 130 students including 60() male and 70() female students in this study. Their age was ranging from 18-26 years with mean age of 22.5 years. Out of 130 students, 107() students replied yeas and 23 replied no in answer to the question “ do you know what is dental floss?” In the reply of question “Does dental floss removes plaque in interdental areas?” 98() replied ‘yes’ and 32() ‘No.’ There were 98() students who were using dental floss and 32() were not using it. Overall 45() students were having poor, 60() having moderate, 12() high and 23 were having no knowledge about dental floss at all.
Conclusion: Proper awareness about dental floss use and its benefits is very necessary among dental students as they have to give awareness to others in the community.
- Doshi D, Baldava P, Anup N, Sequeira PS. A comparative evaluation of self‑reported oral hygiene practices among medical and engineering University students with access to health‑promotive dental care. J Contemp Dent Pract 2007; 8:68‑75.
Bennadi D, Halappa M, Kshetrimayum N. Self-reported knowledge and practice of inter dental aids among group of dental students, Tumkur, India. J Interdiscip
Dentistry 2013; 3:159-62.
Ganss C, Schlueter N, Preiss S, Klimek J. Tooth brushing habits in uninstructed adult‑frequency, technique, duration and force. Clin Oral Invest 2009; 13:203‑8.
Nusair KB, Alomari Q, Said K. Dental health attitudes and behavior among dental students in Jordan.
Community Dent Health 2006; 23:147‑51.
- El Fadi KA, El Batran M, Kaseem N. Periodontitis and cardiovascular disease; Floss and reduce a potential risk factor for CVD. Angiology. 2011; 62:62‑7.
- Dagli RJ, Tadakamadla S, Dhanni C, Duraiswamy P, Kulkarni S. Self-reported dental health Attitude and behavior of dental students in India. J Oral Sci 2008; 50:267‑72
- Neeraja R, Kayalvizhi G, Sangeetha P. Oral Health Attitudes and Behavior among a Group of Dental Students in Bangalore, India. Eur J Dent 2011; 5:163‑7.
- Sanoudos M, Christen AG. Levi Spear Parmly: The apostle of dental hygiene. J Hist Dent.1999; 47:3-6.
- Bashiru, Braimoh Omoigberai, Ilochonwu Nzube Anthony. “Oral self-care practices among University students in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.” Nigerian medical journal: Niger Med J. 2014; 55: 486-489.
- Kaira LS et al. Oral health related knowledge, attitude and practice among nursing students of Rohilkhand medical college and hospital: A questionnaire study.J orofac Res.2012; 2:20-3.
- Naematollahi H,Ebrahim M. Oral health behaviour and determinant in a group of Iranian students. Ind J dentRes 2010; 21:84-8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.